Saturday, November 1, 2014

Breeding Day Redux

So we put Cherry in with Ray again yesterday.  There were two successful attempts in the morning.  Last evening, I thought Cherry was going to have a conniption.  She did not want Ray anywhere near her.  She ran around and around the cage.  He couldn't mount her.  She bit at him so I took her back out.  She was grunting and oinking and growling the entire time and she kept doing it even when she was back in her own cage.  She was a very upset bunny.

Today I groomed her and put her out back in the exercise pen.  Then I groomed Ray and put him out in the pen with her and waited.  She was grunting and oinking and circling him and jumping over the top of him and generally seemed happy to see him today.  (I know, it doens't make a whole lot of sense to me, either, but then I'm not fluent in Rabbit.) 

He was not interested.  He never tried to mount her once.  Does this mean yesterday morning's breeding was successful?  Were his feelings too hurt to try again after last night's decided rejection?  I couldn't find any information on what it means if the buck successfully breeds with the doe twice, then tries again and fails, then is offered a third chance and acts like he's never met her before and doesn't want to get to know her any better. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment